Brooklyn Eye

"I'm just a simple kid from Brooklyn who landed into the most enchanted lifestyle imaginable." - Michael Musto

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

El Desfile de Eddie

By Catherine Colford

Besides being my roommate, Catherine is one of my best friends and a fellow blogger. You can check out her blog, BronxBliss, here.

Green grass and majestic buildings are not exactly what comes to mind when most people think of the Bronx. Lucky for Fordham students, our Bronx includes both (plus yummy Italian food, bodegas and BX12 buses). To me this picture is bliss, relaxation and beauty. You might think I'm exaggerating but seriously, there's no place I'd rather be than plopped down on that grass right there! I took this picture on my Blackberry last fall, before I went abroad for the spring semester. After experiencing countless breathtaking and beautiful places across Europe, I still could not have been happier to return to our beloved Eddie's. Don't get me wrong, the Eiffel Tower, Roman ruins and Venetian canals are all beautiful, but you always leave a place like that pretty jealous that you're just a tourist and those places don't "belong" to you. Eddie's, on the other hand, belongs to us.

Eddie's is the hub of the entire Fordham community. We meet our classmates there during freshmen orientation and graduate on the same lawn, and in between those two momentous occasions we pass endless days there together. I remember visiting on a perfect spring day in April as a senior in high school and making my final decision to attend Fordham while sitting on one of the benches surrounding Eddie's with my parents. I’m sure my admiration for the lounging “cool” college kids and hidden beer cans had something to do with it. The best part though, is that Eddie’s set my expectations for Fordham and it did not disappoint! A year later I was one of those “cool” college kids trying to hide a beer on Eddie’s on a sunny Friday
afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
13 year old occupying a 21 year old body. Usually silly, sometimes serious, and always hungry for Munchiez. Yo hablo espanol y me gusta fotografias.